Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Arctic Monkeys is a band that was recommended to me by Canadian Music Network's Allan Mamaril when I ran into him at a Nickel Creek showcase at Revival a couple of weeks ago. I usually respect Allan's taste, and he didn't let me down this time. I've now seen a video and heard two songs from the Sheffield, England quartet and I've liked what I've heard. The group definitely has a British sound and reminds me of a somewhat more restrained Libertines. The band also cites eccentric Mancunian musical poet John Cooper Clarke as an influence, which is a feather in its cap as far as I'm concerned. It's signed to Domino Recording Company, the same label that brought us Franz Ferdinand and my favourite album of last year. If you want to hear more, visit http://aurgasm.us.

No comments: